Friday, July 24, 2009

Darkness Falls

posted by Alan
(click on the pictures to see them full size)


Guys getting ready on the roof across fom us. the moon's shadow on the earth, announcement at my office about the eclipse party.

"A total solar eclipse is a spectacular natural phenomenon and many people travel to remote locations to observe one" says Wikipedia. Well, on Wednesday one actually came to us. This was the longest total solar eclipse during the 21st century (almost 7 minutes long) and only a thin sliver of India and China were able to see it. It just so happened that Shanghai was considered one of the best spots to view it. The whole city was ready to watch it with polarized sunglasses being sold everywhere.

eclipse brochure that came with sunglasses, Zoie and DZ gettin ready, 7 minutes of darkness begins
DZ and her shades, total darkness at 9:36 AM


Daisy and I headed over to my office, where my company got together and went up on a nearby rooftop at 9AM for the viewing party. It was raining the night before and the sky was covered with clouds. And of course, about 15 minutes before the eclipse was to begin, down came the rain. So we didn't get to actually SEE the eclipse, but wow, did it get dark. The sky quickly faded from light to dark within seconds and for about 7 minutes, at 9:36AM China time, it became night. It was a cool phenomenon and fun just being out there with everyone during it. I guess we'll just have to wait to see the next one in 120 years.

It also hit 100 degrees earlier this week. I take it as a bad sign when i exclaim something like "man, its hot out," most of the responses I seem to get are along the lines of "just wait until August." I'm thinking our next move may be to Hawaii.

Another good quote from Donald Miller, this time from his book Through Painted Deserts. Very eclipse related:
"We don't see light, we see what it touches."
I won't offer insight, I'll just let you chew on that one for a bit.

Some random pictures(i know thats really why u check our blog):
Zoie's wrship concert, the girls at small group
skyping fun with the kids, DZ at Tai Kang Road


Response to comments:
Kristen - Glad to be of educational assistance.
Corey - Um, I never actually said I was taking orders. haha. But I'll be glad to take you to the spot when you get out here to visit. You can buy yourself as many as you like.
Pat - They're not much different from the old school converse and puma's NBA guys used to wear back in the day. Makes you wonder that if they were able to play in those back then, are all of today's high-tech sneakers really worth it?

2 comments:

  1. Hi alan! glad you were able to experience the eclipes! When i first heard about it i thought it could be seen everywhere but yeah.. the earth had to be round, jk.

    Hope all is well over there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do solar eclipses happen that rarely?! Oh man, you should have sun-danced to shoo the rain away. Or maybe it's one of those happenings that are so extraordinary that supernatural things coincide, like tornadoes and hurricanes near time of eclipse, etc.

    I was thinking the 85 degrees as an angle measurement, maybe the building was standing 85 degrees tall from the ground, or the cups are 85 degrees opened. I dunno. I thought coffee was supposed to be much hotter than 85 degrees.

    If you move to Hawaii, I'll visit ya!

    ReplyDelete