Wednesday, July 29, 2009

CSL (Chinese as a Second Language)

posted by Alan
*click on pictures to see them full size


It's been two weeks since I've started working. It has been a challenge to say the least. It's already difficult to figure out the way a new workplace works, but imagine trying to do that while learning a new culture and in a language you can barely speak. But I must say, it was a challenge I was expecting and one that I was ready for. I'll talk about the culture another time (i can write a book about how much i've learned about it already), but let's just start with the language thing.

It would take some major convincing for me to believe that there is any language harder to learn than Mandarin. It's not a superficial language that was developed simply as a way of communicating, but there are levels of complexity, history, art and culture all mixed into it. I distinctly remember back to my first stint in China. There was a point at which I had somewhat of a revelation and realized that I was starting to get a grasp of the language. Let's call it the "Grasping Point." Its a strange feeling to express. It's as if a light bulb turned on and i felt this confidence that i was beginning to understand and what i didnt understand, i could figure out. Has anyone else experienced this? Back then, coming from a background of ZERO mandarin, I hit that point about 3 months in.

This time, it's a whole different situation. In XinZheng, I was sheltered by the University Campus and to some extent, the small town in which I lived. We were foreigners in a small Chinese town that was NOT built for foreigners and expected nothing more from us. We were treated like oddities (in an innocent and loving way.) Everyday speech was simple. How to get around, order food, just the basics. If you were able to say "Hi, I don't speak Chinese" to one of the locals there, the reaction would be "WOW, THAT'S SO GREAT! YOU SPEAK CHINESE!"

Seriously, who came up with this stuff?

Here in Shanghai, nobody is impressed. First of all, it's a city filled with foreigners and these days, its alot of foreigners that CAN speak chinese. It's almost expected here. Second, I had most of my basic everyday needs taken care of for me back in XinZheng. I didn't have to deal with bills, rent, repairs, etc. Living on our own now in Shanghai has resulted in alot of scrambling to learn new words for everyday situations that we completely overlook while living in the comfort of our native country. To get a feel for what I'm talking about, try joining a gym or getting exactly what you want from Pinkberry without speaking any words. Third, Shanghai is extremely modern and very Westernized. It is completely possible and very tempting to get through life here without actually speaking any Chinese. Most anybody here under the age of 25 can speak pretty decent english and many stores and shops have English menus and options. Some stores are marketed COMPLETELY to english speaking customers. So speaking Chinese as practice here is a bit embarassing. Its hard not to feel dumb trying to communicate in Chinese at the level of a 3 year-old, when the person you're talking to is probably thinking "just say it in english and stop wasting my time."

This reason alone is one of the primary reasons I'm glad to be working at this company. Yes, many of the employees here are young and want to improve their English, but while working, in the interest of just getting things done, they usually just speak Chinese. I get ample amounts of free Chinese practice and have about 50 willing teachers all around me. I'm learning new words by the minute and am constantly being forced to put them to use. I can already tell that it has been helping and I can't wait to see where my speaking level is at a few months from now. I'm anxiously waiting to hit The Grasping Point again.

But I'm happy to accept this challenge and I firmly believe we weren't meant to just coast through life. We were made with the capacity to grow, and growth is a direct result of persevering through challenges. A life without challenge is a life of complacency, or as one famous author puts it "The Waiting Place." TWO WHOLE Chinese RMB to anyone that can tell me who that author is. The Waiting Place is a place that will lull you to sleep, and before you know it, you have passed through life having accomplished nothing. I guess the moral of this entry is: Get off your butt, embrace challenges in your life and hold on for the ride. You'll probably like where you end up.

As always, pictures. While I've been at work, Daisy has been playing housewife and cooking everyday. Pictures of her creations are below:
Chicken Parm & Spaghetti; Betty Crocker Brownies
Over the stove; working the oven while Rachel cleans the mixing bowl; goodies from home (thanks mom)


Actually, she's also been working with some clothing design label thing too. Be sure to ask her to update this blog and tell you all about it.

Response to comments:
Mayho - I guess it's normal to think an eclipse can be seen from everywhere. The sun is just up there, right? But yes, we're actually on the other side of the world, so it wouldnt make sense.
Sung - I read that in India, they had ALOT of supserstitions about the eclipse. They did alot of wacky stuff during it. I'm sure you can look some up. There were some in China too, but I think thats more in the past generations. Everyone here just thought it was really cool. And it was. So you'll visit us in Hawaii, but not in Shanghai?

3 comments:

  1. Daisy... Where are you posts? Why are you slacking off!
    Alan... I totally understand. The other day I was trying to tell this grandpa to sit on the bleachers at the gym, in Cantonese, only to realize he spoke mandarin. I tried to mutter out whatever i could (in mandarin) for him to understand and he gave me a blank look. I felt really dumb that I couldn't communicate something so simple to him. At times like that I regret quitting Chinese school when I was young. Another time, I had to have this white couple translate for me in Cantonese to the SG ladies I was working with. So humbling, yet embarassing! = 1 Good that you guys will be able to immerse yourself to learn the culture and language over there! PG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo that chicken parm looks mad good.

    sean kelley mckeever (googled it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey gongs!
    i havent checked this in too long and it looks like so much has been happening! congrats on your job. It sounds really unique and exciting! and i'm enjoying all the pics! miss you guys! -lina

    ReplyDelete