Monday, May 18, 2009

long overdue...

(posted by Daisy)

Sorry for the lack of pictures this time around. Blogspot is currently blocked so we can't post pictures although we can post text. Will add the pictures once it's unblocked again!

We've been in Shanghai for a month now and we're starting to feel more at home. It's been 3 weeks since we moved into our "new" apartment. Most Chinese homes have an area immediately inside the front door where you can put your shoes. Ours is between our front door and a metal gate/door. Even though we lock the gate, the owner of the apartment as well as the landlord insist that we put our shoes in the cabinets else someone might STEAL them. Whom? I don't know... so Alan had a good idea. He thought we could be a little more carefree if we just closed up the gate so people can't see in. It's pretty cool -- looks all professionally done...by Alan!

The first three weeks we've been here, we ate out almost every meal. The foods around us are yummy but everyone knows if you cook at home, it's a little healthier and you save money. Plus, Alan wants to learn how to cook. So we had a few test runs and Alan cooked some fried rice! Yummy! : ) I would cook more if I could wear a full-body suit to cook (hot oil can be super scary!) Even back home, Alan would cook and I would clean -- works out because he likes to eat and I like to clean : ) But neither of us know how to cook REAL Chinese food so this past weekend Alan invited two of his students Nina and Sally (from the university where he used to teach) to come visit and teach us! And one of our friends Tiffany was over so all three of them were cooking up a storm in our tiny kitchen! I kind of helped cook...I peeled the garlic but mid-way through, I had to ask Alan for help :D The meal was SO GOOD!

We've been riding our bikes just about everywhere... it's awesome. Shanghai is flat all over so biking is easy, fast, efficient, and FUN! I try to take my bike everywhere unless I know I'm going to buy something big that won't fit in my bike basket. But sometimes (like today) I don't know and I tied a pillow to the back of my bike (don't worry, it was in a plastic bag). There wasn't any space in my basket because I had raw meats in there and everything else (frozen dumplings, sesame oil, black vinegar, Pocky, Oreos, etc) were in my bookbag. The limited space also keeps me from buying the entire store! And when it rains, there are these clever bike ponchos that are super long in the front and they cover your legs, your hands/the handle bars AND your bike basket! Maybe the delivery guys in NY could use some of these bike ponchos!

Although all this sounds like a lot of fun (which usually is!), the both of us are still actively searching for full-time work. In the meantime, I'm helping a university student practice speaking English and this week I'm "tutoring" a 4.5 year old who will be relocating to English-speaking country. I haven't met the little one yet but I'm looking forward to it!

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27193247@N05/sets/72157618555680236/

4 comments:

  1. i had a bike poncho when i was in China! its definitely useful but after a while u feel kind of gross from the rain and the ickiness of the plastic! haha miss u guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! exciting! i love cooking. what happened to the bike you had locked up in chinatown?

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun reading your posts!
    Glad to see you adjusting to Shanghai. Best of luck in your job hunt.

    Johnny C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha why do you guys need to save money for food? You can eat like a king on $2 a day there!!

    ReplyDelete